Wednesday, December 17, 2014

I might be turning into a hippy.

If you would have told me a few years ago that in 2014 I would be using and selling essential oils, becoming obsessed with holistic medicine (while seeing doctors for emergencies only) and pulling my kids out of public school to homeschool, I probably would have fallen to the floor belly laughing. Like hardcore, tears running down my face I can't breathe, laughter.  But here I am.  

I started reading more about doctors and medicine and become slightly obsessed with figuring out other cures for our ailments.  After all, most medicine just masks the symptoms and doesn't actually cure the problem.  I've also had some frustrating doctor experiences most recently.  I've been finding that the doctors really aren't listening to me.  They are always eager to prescribe medicine though.  One of my doctors even admitted the the medicine he gave me (for a stomach issue) probably wouldn't work but it was worth a try.  What?!  With all of the horrible side effects medicine can have on the body, why on earth would I want to use a medicine that probably wouldn't work?   When I had my heart palpitations my doctor ran some tests but found nothing wrong.  He quickly decided it was anxiety related and we discussed changing medicine.  That is when I decided I was DONE.  I spent hours researching possible causes of heart palpitations.  Anxiety is obviously one of them, but I found out that low magnesium causes heart palpitations.  So I started taking magnesium supplements and the palpitations stopped.  Easy enough.  During all of these research I started reading about using essential oils to prevent and treat illnesses.  Most medicines have various essential oil derivatives in them anyway, so I figure why not try using oils and see what happens!

I am not kidding when I tell you it has been life changing.  I had the worst sinus infection of my life when I was 6 weeks pregnant.  I couldn't move, think, or even talk without being in intense pain. I honestly started to wonder if that was what dying felt like.  I hesitantly busted out my oils and within days I was better.  A small miracle considering my history of sinus infections and that I almost always need a prescription to clear them up.  Since then, I'm a total believer.  I use oils on myself and my kids every day to boost our immunity and prevent illness.  When we all got a cold last week, I was able to treat it with essential oils, the diffuser, Congaplex supplements, and vitamins.  We were healthy after 2 days.  2 freaking days!  Brevin is super prone to illnesses.  He gets sick and it takes him forever to get better.  The way his body fought off this cold was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.  My goal is to keep us healthy during this insane flu season.  From what I hear, it's brutal.  We don't get flu shots, so I need to make an extra effort to keep us all healthy for the sake of the baby.  I don't want to be pregnant and get the flu!  

I was able to completely wean myself off of my anxiety medicine all thanks to meditation and essential oils.  I have a blend of oils that help with anxiety...all I need to do is rub the oil on my wrists and behind my ears when I start feeling worried or panicky.  Then a few minutes of meditation is usually all it takes for me to calm down.  This is a huge victory for me! 


Anyway, my family thought I was slightly ridiculous until I forced convinced them all to try the essential oils.  Now I've converted many people, including my DAD who was a total skeptic.  Now he calls and asks me to order him oil :)  I love it! 

This screen shot below comes from one of my favorite bloggers, Organic Olivia.  I find her posts fascinating and this one came at just the right time.  



Up next:  my homeschool post.  I've been putting off writing it because I know it's going to be a long one!  

No comments: