Friday, December 3, 2010

Time out!

Last weekend we had to implement our first real time-out.  I hate doing time-outs, but Isla has started testing us to see what she can get away with, so we had to start being consistent and follow through with consequences. 

Isla got her first time-out for grabbing one of the ornaments on the Christmas tree (a glass ornament) and trying to take it off the tree.  I feel bad  because obviously the Christmas tree is interesting and something new for Isla to see...but I don't want her to accidentally pull it down or cut herself by breaking an ornament.  So the rule is:  No touching the Christmas tree. 

The first time she touched the tree I just told her simply, "no touchie", and then tried to get her to focus her attention on something else.  She looked at me, looked back at the tree, and then grabbed an ornament.  So it was off to time-out.  After her minute was up, she went right back to the tree, got her same warning and repeated to touch the tree.  Frustrating!  Back to time-out.  After the second time out, the same thing happened again.  At this point I'm feeling like a Nazi, but Isla goes back for her 3rd time-out.  Finally, after this time-out she decided to steer clear of the tree!  We've had our tree up for a week now and she hasn't touched it since!  Yay!  I was so worried about having the tree up with a crazy toddler running around that we almost didn't put ours up this year. 

Andy and I finally had our discipline talk to make sure we were on the same page with time outs to make sure we keep things consistent.  We both have to be clear with our warning, try refocusing her, and then give the time out if she has continued the action we have asked her to stop doing.  It's been tough trying to figure out what actions deserve a time-out! I want Isla to explore and climb and discover things, but I also want her to be safe.  And there are a few things we just don't want her touching at all (tv, dvd player, computer, etc).  I'm really amazed with how quickly Isla has learned that when we say "no" we mean it! She has been a much better listener this week!

Here is Isla during a time-out yesterday.  I'm such a mean mama for taking a picture of her while she was angry!  Oh well :)  I bought that yellow placemat at Target for $1.99 and that has become her time-out circle.  I love it!  Isla knows that is her time-out spot and will sit there without moving for a minute.  I stole the idea from Super Nanny...totes love her. 

4 comments:

Berbs33 said...

Love Super Nanny, I take all kinds of tips from her! Good for you guys for making a plan together and being consistent with the discipline, it can be very confusing to a kid otherwise! Love the time out circle and way to go Isla for catching on so quickly (Colton is 4 and still doesnt catch on to some things that fast)!!

AliRose said...

Are pants also not allowed during time outs? ;)

Freckles said...

love this. :)

Betsy said...

Pants and smiles are optional :)